Reply To: June 2021 ride

Welcome Forums Cycling group June 2021 ride Reply To: June 2021 ride

Andy Henderson
Keymaster

We’ll take two routes to Petersfield:

1. I’ll leave HIADS at 9am to cycle to Petersfield via Butser Hill – a relatively easy hill over the Downs
  2. Those not wanting to cycle the whole way should meet at HIADS at 10am with a view to catching the 10.40 train from Havant (or, perhaps, the earlier 10.34) to Petersfield.

There are, of course, other ways to join the train including: parking at The Ship; and getting a train from Portsmouth (for members that live there).

We’ll meet in Café Mezzo – on the south side of the High Street a short distance to the west of the junction with Dragon Street.

We have two obvious routes back:

1. Up Butser Hill – a short but very steep hill. Pushing up is not a great hardship and, from the top, it’s a pleasant route back to Rowlands Castle.
  2. Through the Butser Cutting – a shared walking and cycling path so no traffic. Not as steep a hill, but longer. From the end of the cutting we would go back via Chalton meeting up with the Butser Hill route.

My current inclination is option 1 and I know others will feel the same, but we could split into two groups.

I propose we stop for lunch at the George in Finchdean. Currently we have  riders:

• Me
  • Peter W
  • David
  • Ann
  • Bob
  • Martine
  • Mike?

I’ll book a table for 7. Please let me know if you won’t be stopping or if I’ve missed you off the list.

Andy