3 May 2019 at 2:48 pm #6070Andy HendersonKeymaster
Last year at around this time, we had a very pleasant ride to/from Petersfield. The weather’s looking good, so how about we do it again?
As before, we’ll take two routes to Petersfield:
- I’ll leave HIADS at 9am to cycle to Peterfield via Butser Hill – a relatively easy hill over the Downs
- Those not wanting to cycle the whole way should meet at HIADS at 10am with a view to catching the 10.40 train from Havant (or, perhaps, the earlier 10.34) to Petersfield.
There are, of course, other ways to join the train including: parking at The Ship; and getting a train from Portsmouth (for members that live there).
We’ll meet in Café Mezzo – on the south side of the High Street a short distance to the west of the junction with Dragon Street.
We have two obvious routes back:
- Up Butser Hill – a short but very steep hill. Pushing up is not a great hardship and, from the top, it’s a pleasant route back to Rowlands Castle.
- Through the Butser Cutting – a shared walking and cycling path so no traffic. Not as steep a hill, but longer. From the end of the cutting we can choose between a short route alongside the A3 or we could go back via Chalton meeting up with the Butser Hill route.
Last year we split into two groups that each took one of these routes and we met up at the George in Finchdean. I suggest we have a discussion about routes when we meet in Petersfield.
Replies to this topic appear here...
3 May 2019 at 5:37 pm #6073Christine RobertsParticipant
I would be keen to cycle Tuesday & might try both ways….There is always the train….whichever direction
See you @ HIADS 9.00am
3 May 2019 at 8:15 pm #6074Peter HaskellParticipant
Intend to take the train to Petersfield so all being well see you at Mezzo about 11am
4 May 2019 at 6:42 pm #6075Maggi BridgmanParticipant
Mike will be doing this ride and I’ll leave him to decide on the route but we will both be on the social ride in Hayling on the 10th
5 May 2019 at 5:14 pm #6078Carol CarterParticipant
We will meet you at Petersfield. We will go direct to the station and not meet at HIADS to save time.
Gil & Carol
6 May 2019 at 9:09 am #6079David DodgsonParticipant
I would like to join the ride but will probably take the train to Petersfield.
6 May 2019 at 11:15 am #6080Anthony GeorgeParticipant
Sorry won’t be able to do this one, Grandad duties call.
Have a great day.
6 May 2019 at 10:44 pm #6081Mike BridgmanParticipant
I’m happy to cycle both ways to/from Petersfield. What time will you be at The Spring Andy?
7 May 2019 at 8:51 am #6083Mike BridgmanParticipant
Have decided to go up by train and meet you in Petersfield
- The topic ‘May 2019 ride’ is closed to new replies.