Availability: Currently closed to new members
Group leader: Steve Jones - Contact Steve
This group is not currently accepting new members. If you would like to join this or a similar group, please register your interest. That will allow us to notify you if a place becomes available. If enough people register an interest we will try to create a new group.
It is planned to re-start the group commencing 25th October and thereafter from 2-4pm on the 4th Monday of the month. The emphasis is on getting to know blues artists, their work and where it has been influential in the 20th century:
- Review the lives of influential American blues artists of the 20th century .
- Listen to examples of their recorded music.
- Consider and listen to British music influenced by these artists.
- Occasionally attend appropriate music events.
- Play and sing some Blues in its simplest form (To misquote Woody Guthrie "More than 3 chords is just showing off"). The final 30 mins will be devoted to this and the simplest of instruments are welcome, but just listen if thats what you prefer.
The meetings are held at Steve Jones' house in Eastoke and accommodate seven people. Steve has a good collection of blues recorded music and literature and prepares a presentation each month supported by electronic literature (pdf’s), using dropbox.
Members are welcome to contribute in one or more of the following ways:
- Bring an interest in Blues and a desire to enjoy the genre, through listening and discussion.
- Prepare and give a presentation, if happy to. This can be related to a Blues artist or how their work has affected their own life (Desert Island Discs in Blue).
- Whilst this is not primarily a performing group jamming/singing a bit of Blues will be fun and aid understanding the genre.