Here's a summary of recent progress.
I've created it as a news item at: haylingu3a.org.uk/news/progress-to-1-september-2015 (also visible via the 'News & articles' menu on the web site in the 'News' section). I then used the new 'Email all U3A Members' service to send the article as an email to all members which - currently - are all the members of the oversight group.
- When adding or changing a news item or an article, there is now an option to send a notification email to members of all related groups.
- Members can now specify - through their profile page - which groups they want to receive automated emails from.
- I've set up access controls for editing: news items; articles and events. We can set up:
- Editors that can edit anything on the site - including news items and articles for the U3A as a whole
- Group editors that can create items only for their group and can edit items they have created and any item created exclusively for their group
- Editors that can edit several groups - for example - all the Scrabble groups could have a common editor; editors don't have to be group members
- There are now the following bulk email services:
- Email all members - available to site editors only
- Email all group leaders - available to site editors only
- Email all members in a group - available to site editors, group editors and group members (if the requester can email more than one group, they have to option to email selected groups with the same email)
- The bulk email services allow authorised members to send a simple message or provide the id of a post - like this one - to be sent as an email
- The group page now provides:
- Group members with a link to email all members of the group
- Group editors with links to create: news items, articles and events for their group
- I've restyled/reworked: the log in page; the search results page and the page displayed if the site can't find a requested page (also known as a 404 page)
- I fixed a bug that meant we couldn't delete more than one group member or editor at a time
The list of things still left to do is coming down nicely and the development work (bar operational data) is nearly complete:
- Finalise colour scheme
- Operational data maintenance, enquiry and reporting (subject to discussion with Bryan)
- Maintain/show group interests
- 'How to's
- Data capture