The Hayling Island U3A newsletter is published to all members three times a year. It covers items of local interest and supplements 'Third Age Matters' which is the national U3A magazine.
We distribute the newsletter electronically to every member and physically to every member household - unless you ask otherwise.
We would like you to consider using the electronic version so that we don't have to send you a printed copy. That has benefits to you and to Hayling Island U3A. Click either of these headings to learn more...
Benefits to you
We give you the option to view the newsletter online, or you can use your own equipment to print a copy just like the one being posted. The benefits below are specific to the online version but some of them apply to a version you print yourself.
- The newsletter consumes a significant amount of your annual subscription. If enough members use the online version instead of the printed one, we will be able to keep subscriptions down and, maybe, reduce them.
- You'll get the newsletter faster - we'll notify you as soon as it is available.
- You can increase the size of text and images if that makes reading easier for you. The web site will automatically adjust to the new size so you won't have to scroll left and right to read all the text. You can even have text read out to you. Click here to learn more.
- The images are better quality. You can also click on most images to see a larger version.
- Without space or layout restrictions, we can provide more images and supporting information.
- You will see links to related web pages highlighted in red.Click any one to find out more.
- Links to reference articles, such as group lists, are always up-to-date and provide more information than the printed version.
- We can correct any errors or omissions immediately.
- You can read the newsletter on any device attached to the internet including: Personal Computers, tablets and smart phones.
- Over time we will build a library of past newsletters. You will be able to search the web site to find articles in both the current and previous newsletters.
- No waste! You can feel good knowing you've done a little bit more to help protect the planet.
Benefits to Hayling Island U3A
Obtaining the printed version of the newsletter, putting it into envelopes, printing labels and attaching them all takes a lot of volunteer time and effort.
We distribute printed copies through the monthly meetings but, for those that do not attend, volunteers have to post the newsletters through letter boxes, or we have to mail them.
Reducing the numbers of printed copies therefore significantly reduces cost to the U3A and the time and effort needed by our volunteers.
- New members will benefit from being able to review past copies to catch up on what they've missed
- The online newsletter allows us to attach group reports to the group's page on the web site. We can restrict sensitive information (such as phone numbers and email addresses) to members only, allowing us to publish group reports to the public to promote membership of open groups and Hayling U3A as a whole.
To see the electronic version of the newsletter and, optionally, let us know you no longer need the printed version, you must first log in to the members' area of the site. Click here to do that now.