Any member of a group can email the other members via the web site. This is better than trying to keep personal email lists because:
- Members' email addresses are accurate and kept up-to-date automatically - you don't need to know them
- You will automatically include any new members, and exclude members that have left the group (particularly important in the case of deceased members)
- You will honour requests made by members not to be emailed
- You will not reveal members' email addresses to each other
To start sending am email to your group, go to the main group page and click 'Membership list' just below the page heading (the link will read 'Membership list and management' for group leaders and editors). You will see a list of the current group members.
To email just one member click the 'Contact...' link next to their name. You will see a simple form that asks you for a subject and the text of your message. The web site will send your email for you.
To email all the group members, click 'Email group members' towards the bottom of the list. You will then see a page asking you to tick which groups you want to email. It will list all the groups you belong to together with any for which you are an editor, the group you started from is ticked for you...
If you have access to multiple groups, you can select more than one to email all members of each group. The web site automatically detects and suppresses duplicate email addresses.
When you select one of more groups you can send your email using this form:
There are two ways to create an email:
- You can enter a subject and message into the form.
- You can specify the id of a web site posting, normally a news item so your email content also appears as news attached to the group. Emails created this way can use formatting such as headings and bullet points.
The web site will automatically suggest the email comes from you and your email address.
You can send a test email before mailing the group(s). Again the site suggests the test email is sent to your address.
You see a confirmation page like this when you click the 'Proceed' button:
If you specified a post id on the previous page, the confirmation page shows you the post's title so you can confirm you picked the right one.
Click 'Confirm your request' to see this page that tells you how many emails were sent and details of any problems encountered:
If you sent a test message, you can open it in your email software to test it looks OK. You can then make any changes to your post and click 'Restart' to return to the email detail page with all the same information you supplied before filled in for you. You can then choose to send a new test email or to mail the group members.